UK set for stronger post-Covid recovery, says OECD
The UK economy's recovery from the pandemic is set to be stronger than previously thought, a leading international agency has suggested.
The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development says the UK is likely to grow 7.2% in 2021, up from its March projection of 5.1%.
The OECD raised its forecast for global growth to 5.8%, compared with the 4.2% it predicted in December.
However, it warned that growth would not be shared evenly.
The UK's growth is set to be the fastest among the large rich countries, the OECD says.
The OECD said prospects for the world economy had brightened, with activity returning to pre-pandemic levels.
However, they remained short of what had previously been expected by the end of 2022.
The OECD praised stimulus measures and swift vaccine rollouts in richer countries for boosting growth, but said the slow jab distribution in many developing countries threatened to blight their economic progress.
It said the recovery would remain uneven and vulnerable to fresh setbacks as long as a large proportion of the world's population were not vaccinated.
Global growth will be led by a strong upturn in the US, where GDP is forecast to reach 6.9% this year, before easing to 3.6% in 2022, the OECD added.
Output in China has also caught up, but emerging-market economies, including India, may continue to have large shortfalls in GDP.
- VisitScotland Gaelic Toolkit Launched
- Taxi and Private Hire Vehicle Driver and Operator Support Fund
- Cultural Organisations and Arts Venues Funding Round 2
- Thimblerow Development Brief Consultation
- Significant New Appointment in Azets Aberdeen Office
- Carbon Webinars are ON THE BALL!
- New £50,000 fund for social enterprises
- Green Jobs Funding Call
- £26 Million For Digital Skills
- Test and Protect Update on COVID-19 Testing
- Glenalmond College - Virtual Open Day, June 19th
- Lindsays: The Right To Disconnect
- Kickstart for Aaron
- Hotel Group Partners With Respitality Scotland
- Bank of Scotland Academy Has Launched
- Grey Matters, The Company Creation Programme
- Aircraft Decommissioning Pathway
- New Managing Partner at Thorntons
- UK set for stronger post-Covid recovery, says OECD
- Deadline to Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme - 30th June
- VisitScotland Destination and Sector Marketing Fund - Applications Open
- Macnabs Will Aid Initiative Raises over £8000 for Charity
- First Minister Sets Out Priorities For Government
- Open for Business Fund - Perth & Kinross Council