Further trainees start their legal career with Thorntons
Leading Scottish law firm Thorntons has welcomed six further trainee solicitors this September. This follows an earlier intake of ten trainees in March of this year and underlines the firm’s commitment to growth.
The new recruits will undertake a two year course across the firm’s network of offices, developing their skills and knowledge across a variety of legal disciplines, as part of their traineeship.
All trainees will adopt a blended work approach, working both from home and in the Thorntons’ offices, ensuring they have direct support from their supervising partner and other colleagues.
The trainees are Walter Buckman from Glasgow, David Durie and Finlay Williamson from Dundee, Antonia Kildare and Hannah Smethurst from Edinburgh, and Martyna Kotlarz from Aberdeen.
Structured around four six-month department rotations, the trainees will gain hands-on experience, complete practical work and have direct client contact from early on. The group will also benefit from Thorntons’ diverse learning and development programmes, mentoring scheme and internal virtual networking opportunities which are all designed to further advance skills and knowledge.
Additionally, all trainees are allocated a specially selected mentor from Thorntons’ team to offer advice and guidance throughout the duration of the training contract.
New trainee David Durie said: “Going to University in Dundee, Thorntons was a huge presence in the legal community. But the firm didn’t just appear to us in billboards, on the television, and on the radio. The people at Thorntons were always willing to give their time to help with events, offer their knowledge and advice, and even act as a sounding board regarding doubts about our futures.
“When I was given the opportunity to join the firm as a trainee and pay forward the help I was given, I knew I had to grab it. I have a lot to learn over the next two years, and there’s a lot of work to be done. But that work is made all the more rewarding by witnessing first-hand that ‘doing what’s right’ isn’t just a slogan, it really is Thorntons’ mission.”
Lesley Larg, Managing Partner at Thorntons, said: “Our trainees play a vital role in the success of the firm, and I’m hugely excited to welcome our new team members.
“As Thorntons continues to grow, and more and more opportunities become available for newly qualified solicitors, this is a particularly exciting time for our trainees to embark on their careers. Each year a significant number of successful trainees stay on to continue their careers with us, and we look forward to working with them to develop their skills and knowledge.”
For more details on Thorntons traineeships visit: www.thorntons-law.co.uk/careers/legal-traineeships
PICTURED L-R Walter Buckman, Antonia Kildaire, Finlay Williamson, Lesley Larg, Martyna Kotlarz, David Durie and Hannah Smethurst
- Rowan Consultancy fundraising news
- Latest VisitScotland/Business Gateway Digital Webinars
- Sustainable sleeping: Crieff Hydro introduces new eco bedding
- Catering to Celebrancy via Covid
- Guildry Want to Get Behind Local Apprenticeships
- Microsoft Office Excel: Intermediate Level Full Details and Booking
- Strategic Transport Projects Review or STPR2 - Scottish Government Recommendations
- Unlocking tax savings through capital allowances
- First Minister's update to the Scottish Parliament - 18 January 2022
- Professional sport allocated £2.55 million of COVID support
- France to relax travel rules from the UK
- Covid self-isolation in England being cut to five full days
- Scottish business leaders target USA for first in-person trade missions since pandemic began
- Google will spend £730m to 'reinvigorate' its UK offices
- UK economy above pre-Covid levels in November
- COVID 19 Business Support and Continuity Tourism Fund
- SCC: Economic recovery at risk as COVID concerns curtail business growth
- Taxi and Private Hire Driver and Operator Support Fund 2022
- Nightclub Closure Fund
- Crowd restrictions lifted for outdoor events
- ScotWind offshore auction raises £700m
- Introduction to Excel Full Details and Booking
- The DigitalBoost Development Grant has reopened
- Perth event is designed to support the recovery of tourism businesses