Space launches from UK to start in 2022
UK spaceports could be operational from next summer as the UK Government looks to break down barriers to space exploration.
New regulatory proposals unveiled this week mean that satellites and rockets can officially launch from UK soil for the first time, with launches taking place in Scotland, Wales and Cornwall.
Developed with the UK Space Agency and Civil Aviation Authority, the new legislation will allow spaceports to seek a license to operate across the country from this summer.
It is hoped the legislation will accelerate the development of the UK space industry and fuel innovation across a range of areas, from traditional rockets to high-altitude balloons and ‘spaceplanes’.
Spaceport projects are expected to create new jobs for communities across the country. In Scotland, two projects are currently underway that could also unlock huge economic benefits.
Once completed, the Shetland Space Centre development could support more than 600 jobs, with hundreds of roles created locally.
Similarly, plans for a vertical launch site in Sutherland could support more than 400 jobs across a range of areas.
- Rowan Consultancy fundraising news
- Latest VisitScotland/Business Gateway Digital Webinars
- Sustainable sleeping: Crieff Hydro introduces new eco bedding
- Catering to Celebrancy via Covid
- Guildry Want to Get Behind Local Apprenticeships
- Microsoft Office Excel: Intermediate Level Full Details and Booking
- Strategic Transport Projects Review or STPR2 - Scottish Government Recommendations
- Unlocking tax savings through capital allowances
- First Minister's update to the Scottish Parliament - 18 January 2022
- Professional sport allocated £2.55 million of COVID support
- France to relax travel rules from the UK
- Covid self-isolation in England being cut to five full days
- Scottish business leaders target USA for first in-person trade missions since pandemic began
- Google will spend £730m to 'reinvigorate' its UK offices
- UK economy above pre-Covid levels in November
- COVID 19 Business Support and Continuity Tourism Fund
- SCC: Economic recovery at risk as COVID concerns curtail business growth
- Taxi and Private Hire Driver and Operator Support Fund 2022
- Nightclub Closure Fund
- Crowd restrictions lifted for outdoor events
- ScotWind offshore auction raises £700m
- Introduction to Excel Full Details and Booking
- The DigitalBoost Development Grant has reopened
- Perth event is designed to support the recovery of tourism businesses