Space launches from UK to start in 2022
UK spaceports could be operational from next summer as the UK Government looks to break down barriers to space exploration.
New regulatory proposals unveiled this week mean that satellites and rockets can officially launch from UK soil for the first time, with launches taking place in Scotland, Wales and Cornwall.
Developed with the UK Space Agency and Civil Aviation Authority, the new legislation will allow spaceports to seek a license to operate across the country from this summer.
It is hoped the legislation will accelerate the development of the UK space industry and fuel innovation across a range of areas, from traditional rockets to high-altitude balloons and ‘spaceplanes’.
Spaceport projects are expected to create new jobs for communities across the country. In Scotland, two projects are currently underway that could also unlock huge economic benefits.
Once completed, the Shetland Space Centre development could support more than 600 jobs, with hundreds of roles created locally.
Similarly, plans for a vertical launch site in Sutherland could support more than 400 jobs across a range of areas.
- Blairgowrie Firm win double at Top UK Industry Awards
- Business Membership Launched by Rotary Club Perth
- The Queen's Green Canopy
- Golf Day 2021 Results
- Scottish Government Programme for Scotland 2021-2022
- First Minister announces plan for domestic vaccine certification
- Lindsays: Rise in employee-owned companies is good for Scotland’s economy
- Cyclists Prepare for 500-Mile Highland Charity Challenge
- Perthshire Chamber's Annual Golf Day Returns for September 2021
- New Perthshire Chamber Training and Networking Events
- Kilmac on the road to all-electric fleet
- Salmoni's marks 50th anniversary by move to new premises
- New £450m fund to unlock cutting-edge innovation across gas and electricity networks
- Prepackaged for Direct Sale Legislation - Food Standards Scotland
- Consultation on Scotland's first Framework for Tax
- Forth Valley Virtual Trade Mission to Belgium
- Blackadders: Knowledge of disability is key in disability discrimination claims
- Stagecoach launches new sustainability strategy
- Thorntons launches Charity Wills Campaign virtually this September
- Loan scheme launched for Scotland's farmers and crofters
- New touring fund for live music
- Scottish Covid inquiry to start later this year
- Blackadders - To be or not to Airbnb?
- Future Looks Bright For SMEs – New SME Barometer