Sir Tom Hunter's Economic Report - Backed by 27 Scottish Business Leaders
A group of 27 prominent Scottish business leaders, investors and heads of industry bodies have backed the statements made in a Hunter Foundation report published earlier this week.
The Oxford Economics document, Raising Scotland’s Economic Growth Rate, called for inclusive debate across political parties, trade unions, businesses, the third sector and the media, to determine a new economic strategy for Scotland.
It stated that radical and ambitious policy changes are required if Scotland’s economic performance is to be transformed within the next 15 years.
The report, commissioned by Sir Tom Hunter's foundation, noted that “it is not realistic to think that the current economic policies of either the UK or Scottish governments will produce a transformation of Scotland’s economic performance”
It highlighted the nation's low productivity, poor business creation rate and lack of success with scale-ups, which has meant GDP per head is a 44% of Singapore’s level, 48% of Ireland’s, 68% of Norway’s and 75% of Denmark’s.
Commenting on the report, Dr Liz Cameron, Chief Executive of the Scottish Chambers of Commerce, said:
“From every crisis, comes great opportunity. Charting the next era for Scotland’s economic prosperity, will need us all to work together with honesty and openness. We can do this by harnessing our ambition, utilising our resilience and creativity, driven by our fantastic entrepreneurial spirit. We need to have the courage to design and deliver a new, vibrant and globally prepared Scotland for us all.”
Read more here.
- Circular Tayside: Survey highlights Perth and Kinross residents’ concerns over single-use plastics
- Perth College UHI: New Flexible Workforce Development Fund (FWDF) allows SMEs to access up to £5,000 worth of training
- Perth and Kinross Countryside Trust - A Valuable Local Asset for All
- Circular Tayside : November 2020 Newsletter
- Circular Tayside: Check out this inspiring new circular partnership between Remake Scotland and Halley Stevenson’s!
- Inspiring new circular partnership between Remake Scotland and Halley Stevenson’s
- Salutation Hotel Festive Lunch & Dinner Specials
- PRI Cheque Presentation in Memory of Businessman Jim Graham
- Meet Artist Gerard Burns Invitation from Carbon
- Rowan Consultancy: Manager as Coach Course
- Thorntons: Data Protection Webinar. A Roundup of 2020 ICO Enforcement Action Webinar
- Y-Xplore at YMCA Tayside, with support from the Aviva Community Fund
- AbilityNet - Who we are and What we do
- Heartland FM Shortlisted in National Radio Awards
- Circular Tayside: Exciting new funding to help Sottish businesses save energy!
- Circular Tayside: Zero Waste Scotland (ZWS) is launching a new campaign for face coverings.
- Circular Tayside: Circular Construction and the Perth West Project, 25th November, 10-11 AM
- Perthshire Chamber - You Asked and We Delivered November 2020
- ONE of Perth’s longest established opticians is eyeing-up a move
- Gov.Scot: Scotland's Young Persons Guarantee Launched
- Student Volunteer wins Award for Community Work in Perth
- Baseline Employment Analysis and Skills Pathways for the Circular Economy in Scotland.
- STAGECOACH EAST SCOTLAND NAMED ‘PUBLIC TRANSPORT OPERATOR’ OF THE YEAR FOR THE SECOND YEAR RUNNING
- Online event: 17 Nov, 1100-1200. Organised by Perthshire Chamber of Commerce and Circular Tayside. Circular Tayside organisations: adapting to COVID-19 Restrictions.