Sir Tom Hunter's Economic Report - Backed by 27 Scottish Business Leaders
A group of 27 prominent Scottish business leaders, investors and heads of industry bodies have backed the statements made in a Hunter Foundation report published earlier this week.
The Oxford Economics document, Raising Scotland’s Economic Growth Rate, called for inclusive debate across political parties, trade unions, businesses, the third sector and the media, to determine a new economic strategy for Scotland.
It stated that radical and ambitious policy changes are required if Scotland’s economic performance is to be transformed within the next 15 years.
The report, commissioned by Sir Tom Hunter's foundation, noted that “it is not realistic to think that the current economic policies of either the UK or Scottish governments will produce a transformation of Scotland’s economic performance”
It highlighted the nation's low productivity, poor business creation rate and lack of success with scale-ups, which has meant GDP per head is a 44% of Singapore’s level, 48% of Ireland’s, 68% of Norway’s and 75% of Denmark’s.
Commenting on the report, Dr Liz Cameron, Chief Executive of the Scottish Chambers of Commerce, said:
“From every crisis, comes great opportunity. Charting the next era for Scotland’s economic prosperity, will need us all to work together with honesty and openness. We can do this by harnessing our ambition, utilising our resilience and creativity, driven by our fantastic entrepreneurial spirit. We need to have the courage to design and deliver a new, vibrant and globally prepared Scotland for us all.”
Read more here.
- Scottish Government Daily Update 22nd March 2021
- Perth Based Housebuilder Attains 5* Rating
- Business Support Bulletin - Grants & Funding Deadlines, 22nd - 28th March 2021
- Scottish Enterprise to make £4 million available for Green Jobs
- Scottish Government Daily Update 19th March 2021
- Scottish Government - Coronavirus Easing of Restrictions Summary, Tuesday 16th March
- SME Brexit Support Fund Open for Applications
- Scottish Enterprise & AOG Energy - Virtual Mission
- Scottish Government Daily Update Thursday 11th March 2021
- Scottish Government Daily Update 10 March 2021
- Are mergers on the cards as a solution for charities?
- Scottish Government Daily Update 09 March 2021
- SCC Network: Campervan and Motorhome Rental Operators Fund
- Scottish Apprenticeships Employer Event with Perth College UHI
- Enchanted Forest Launches Nationwide Search for New Trustees
- Buyer demand remains undiminished
- Business Training and Support Awarded to 40 Heritage Organisations Across Scotland
- £209m funding for Smart sustainable plastic packaging solutions- check it out!
- Pandemic fails to halt growth of property consultancy’s Scottish Division
- Eviction of tenants during the Coronavirus pandemic
- Temperatures Rise as Businesses Tackle the Menopause at Work
- Thorntons: Immigration Webinar: What employers need to know
- Circular Tayside: New Scottish Procurement Policy Note
- Abertay University Short Courses in Digital Business and Managing Transformational Change