Sir Tom Hunter's Economic Report - Backed by 27 Scottish Business Leaders
A group of 27 prominent Scottish business leaders, investors and heads of industry bodies have backed the statements made in a Hunter Foundation report published earlier this week.
The Oxford Economics document, Raising Scotland’s Economic Growth Rate, called for inclusive debate across political parties, trade unions, businesses, the third sector and the media, to determine a new economic strategy for Scotland.
It stated that radical and ambitious policy changes are required if Scotland’s economic performance is to be transformed within the next 15 years.
The report, commissioned by Sir Tom Hunter's foundation, noted that “it is not realistic to think that the current economic policies of either the UK or Scottish governments will produce a transformation of Scotland’s economic performance”
It highlighted the nation's low productivity, poor business creation rate and lack of success with scale-ups, which has meant GDP per head is a 44% of Singapore’s level, 48% of Ireland’s, 68% of Norway’s and 75% of Denmark’s.
Commenting on the report, Dr Liz Cameron, Chief Executive of the Scottish Chambers of Commerce, said:
“From every crisis, comes great opportunity. Charting the next era for Scotland’s economic prosperity, will need us all to work together with honesty and openness. We can do this by harnessing our ambition, utilising our resilience and creativity, driven by our fantastic entrepreneurial spirit. We need to have the courage to design and deliver a new, vibrant and globally prepared Scotland for us all.”
Read more here.
- Scottish Chambers of Commerce Deepen Dubai Connections at Landmark Bi-lateral Chamber Exchange
- COVID-19 Booster Programme
- First Minister’s COVID-19 Omicron Variant Briefing 10:30am 29/11/2021
- 'Back for the Future' Business Star Awards
- Scottish business taking green energy message to the world
- SCC respond to Scottish Government COVID-19 update
- PEST CONTROL FIRM TEES-UP NEW ROLE
- Scotland is Open
- Stagecoach announces free travel for veterans and military personnel across the UK on Remembrance Day and Remembrance Sunday
- Crieff Hydro Family of Hotels celebrates staff with a smile
- Perth based Carbon Financial is celebrating a landmark industry accolade
- Scottish Careers Week: 'Shape The Future' Webinar
- SCC Network - QEI Update
- Macnabs Will Aid Fundraising Event
- Pitlochry care home gets into the Autumn spirit with its own Tattie Bogle and a visit from Yarn Bombers
- KILMAC SPREADING ITS WINGS
- SCC Reaction to UK Budget 2021
- Plans for £33.8 million leisure-led development at Perthshire submitted to the Council
- Stephen Leckie honoured with HIT Industry Award 2021
- Thorntons Recruit Five New Solicitors
- Kilmac Raises £8,000 for STV Children's Appeal
- Further trainees start their legal career with Thorntons
- Trade mission showcases Scottish luxury on a global stage
- Lavish Praise for Big Country Golf Club