Scottish business taking green energy message to the world
With Scotland having brought the world together at COP26, Scottish businesses are being urged to keep the momentum going.
The Scottish Chamber of Commerce international network is leading a trade mission to the World Expo in Dubai that will showcase the country’s innovation in clean energy and sustainability.
Having turned world-leading engineering skills to green energy, Scottish businesses can benefit from the strong sustainability theme that runs through the whole event.
Featuring more than 192 country pavilions, the event is bringing people from all over the world to connect and showcase world leading innovation and technology.
Some of the world’s most advanced technology is on show, making it the ideal stage for Scottish technical innovation.
As well as being home to the world’s first floating offshore windfarm, Scotland also has one of Europe’s largest hydrogen bus fleets.
A new power plant at Peterhead is the world’s first gas-fired power station equipped with carbon capture storage (CCS) technology. This will capture up to 1.5million tonnes of CO2 every year, which is 15% of the UK’s 2030 target.
There is a week of networking and events for the delegation, which will depart in January, along with time for delegates to take in the splendour of Dubai Expo and the World Future Energy Summit.
The summit is being held in Abu Dhabi from January 17 to 19, and is aimed at businesses making the transition from fossil fuels and driving the change towards net zero. The UK Pavilion is also hosting Scotland’s Race to Net Zero Day on January 19.
Dr Liz Cameron OBE, Chief Executive of the Scottish Chambers of Commerce, said:
“Scottish businesses are already taking action and developing innovative solutions to tackle climate change and have a role to play in keeping the momentum from COP26 going.
“Right across the energy eco-system, Scottish-based businesses are developing technology and sustainable solutions to create a zero carbon world.
“This delegation is aimed firmly at supporting businesses working in renewable energy, low carbon heat, low carbon transport, offshore wind, blue and green hydrogen and supporting the oil & gas transition to net zero.”
Cabinet Secretary for Net Zero, Energy and Transport Michael Matheson MSP said:
“Green energy is a vital component of delivering Scotland’s world-leading climate change legislation and becoming a net-zero economy by 2045.
“We have a long-standing heritage as energy engineering pioneers, from the development of hydro power to offshore wind, tidal energy and our ambition to become a Hydrogen Nation, and COP26 was an opportunity to showcase our expertise and commitment to being a global leader in a green energy transition.
“COP26 must deliver a lasting legacy for the people of Scotland and across the world. Expo 2020 Dubai presents us with a huge opportunity put Scottish companies in the spotlight, highlighting their innovation and pioneering spirit in developing cleaner energy systems to ensure a greener, fairer future for us all.”
At what will be one of the first major in-person events as the world emerges from the COVID pandemic, the trade mission gives Scottish firms the chance to connect with hundreds of potential new business partners from around the world in a single visit.
Along with the support of 30 local Chambers across Scotland, Scottish Chambers will use its global links through the international Chamber network to set up meetings with carefully matched companies from around the world.
- Future Looks Bright For SMEs – New SME Barometer
- Limited number of trade spaces still available at Scottish Game Fair
- DigitalBoost Development Grant – Reopened
- Charity photography competition launched on World Photography day
- Murrayshall supports Cash for Kids with inaugural ProAm golf tournament
- Fund to support food & drink producers and suppliers
- Help to Grow: Management scheme
- New programme to support growth of UK cyber sector
- Invitation to Perthshire Chamber of Commerce 2021 Golf Day!
- Are you ready for the ISDN switchoff?
- Stagecoach carries out first trials of new bridge alert technology
- Perth care homes calling for ‘Everyday Heroes’ as they run flash recruitment events
- Workplace testing rolled out to boost recovery
- ScotSpirit Holiday Voucher Scheme
- Success For New Perthshire Business With National Finalist Nomination
- Global warming will hit 1.5C by 2040, warns IPCC report
- Scotland Loves Local £10 million fund launched
- UK live events sector promised Covid insurance scheme
- New guidance for businesses and workplaces - Beyond Level 0
- Member to Member Offer: Colour Me In video brochure
- Family Fun Day to Mark Perth Firm, GS Group's, Milestone Birthday
- Scotland to move beyond level 0 from Monday 9th August
- No quarantine requirements for fully jabbed US and EU travellers
- Stagecoach to Create 80 Jobs at New UK Customer Contact Centre in Perth