Scone Palace to host "spectacular" Scottish Axe Throwing Open this weekend
Hot on the iron-clad heels of the International Medieval Combat Federation (IMCF) World Championships, battle is set to commence again at Scone Palace this summer as the award-winning visitor attraction gets ready to host the Braveheart Scottish Axe Throwing Open.
The team at Scone Palace is preparing to welcome axe-wielding competitors from all over the UK, Ireland and Europe for the competition, which is taking place in the Palace grounds on Sunday May 5, 2019.
At least 2,000 visitors are expected to descend on the Palace for the day, when competitors will be aiming to hit a target with their axes, getting as close to the bullseye as possible. There will also be "have-a-go" sessions for the public to take part in.
Braveheart Axe Throwing, Scotland's axe throwing team, will host the 15-year-old annual event. Members of the Scottish Knight League, many of whom competed in last year's IMCF World Championships, are returning to Scone Palace for the event and will be demonstrating their medieval combat skills during the day.
There will be live commentary for all the competitive action from broadcaster and entertainer Big Al, music from Scotland's premier tribal band Clann an Drumma and historical King Robert the Bruce re-enactments from Strathleven Artizans. A real-life Blackadder impersonator will be strolling the grounds posing for selfies and generally making visitors do a double take, and young visitors will be entertained by The Regal Storytellers.
Jamie Keddie of event hosts Braveheart Axe Throwing said actors such as Jason Momoa and TV series such as Game of Thrones and Vikings had sparked interest in the sport. He said:
"Thanks to famous faces like Jason Momoa and series such as Vikings, interest in the sport has been rapidly growing in recent years. Scone Palace is the perfect location for such a prestigious event; a location so steeped in history only adds to the spectacle and allure. During the ‘have-a-go' sessions, team members will be teaching visitors to throw like the best."
Visitors can explore a food village and on- site bar, buy medieval style merchandise, and venture into the Palace to enjoy the in-house Coffee Shop.
Stephen Brannigan, Head of House Opening at Scone Palace, is looking forward to welcoming people of all ages to witness another truly unique sporting event. He said:
"After the success of hosting the IMCF World Championships in 2018, we are delighted to be welcoming another sporting tournament with an international appeal at Scone Palace this summer. The Braveheart Scottish Axe Throwing Open is going to be a spectacular sporting event that is definitely best seen in person. The whole day will offer something for everyone, young and old, and we hope people both locally and further afield will come along to enjoy it."
The Braveheart Scottish Axe Throwing Open takes place from 10.00am to 6.00pm on Sunday May 5, 2019 and tickets start at £5.50. Tickets are available at: https://www.scone-palaceshop.co.uk/pages/scottish-axe-throwing-open
For more information about Scone Palace visit www.scone-palace.co.uk
- Scotland aiming to lift Covid restrictions by 9th August
- Scottish Chamber of Commerce: National Security and Investment Act Policy Update
- Scottish Chamber of Commerce: Strategic Framework & Office Re-opening Policy Update
- Hospitality legend retiring after six decades
- Lindsays: The Point of Return
- Blackadders: Electronic Communications Code
- Social Enterprise Awards Scotland
- Stagecoach teams up with NHS in Scotland to offer discounted bus travel to Scotland’s key workers
- Blackadders: Planning and Innovating in the Rural Hospitality Sector
- Bounce Back Into Business With Free PR and Marketing Package
- Scottish lockdown easing ‘likely’ to be delayed until July
- Take part in the China International Import Expo
- VisitScotland Gaelic Toolkit Launched
- Taxi and Private Hire Vehicle Driver and Operator Support Fund
- Cultural Organisations and Arts Venues Funding Round 2
- Thimblerow Development Brief Consultation
- Significant New Appointment in Azets Aberdeen Office
- Carbon Webinars are ON THE BALL!
- New £50,000 fund for social enterprises
- Green Jobs Funding Call
- £26 Million For Digital Skills
- Test and Protect Update on COVID-19 Testing
- Glenalmond College - Virtual Open Day, June 19th
- Lindsays: The Right To Disconnect