Salmoni's marks 50th anniversary by move to new premises
AN ambitious £1.4 million investment has transformed a one-time Perth bank into a cutting-edge opticians’ practice.
Salmoni’s was founded 50 years ago and is one of the oldest independent operators in Scotland.
Director and optometrist Eddie Russell, who is just the third owner of the well-known business, was determined to mark the milestone anniversary with a move to a custom-fitted facility in the heart of the Fair City.
The former Clydesdale Bank headquarters in South Methven Street have been given a new lease of life, with Salmoni’s adjacent to Dental Care Perth, which also embraced a move from cramped, traditional premises.
Local developers Verimac completed their second £1 million phased conversion of the Old Bank in the face of challenges posed by the pandemic.
In addition, Perthshire Chamber of Commerce member Mr Russell has invested nearly £400,000 kitting out the practice with the most technologically advanced eye care equipment on the market.
“This is a game changer for us, an exciting time for the business and for our many clients,” said Mr Russell, who also owns a practice in Bridge of Allan.
“The aim was to future-proof the facility as much as possible.
“That comes at a cost – one piece of kit alone comes in at £100,000 – but we were determined to provide Perth with one of the most advanced practices in the country.
“Our new property is easily accessible and one of our eye test rooms was designed specifically for the comfort of clients using wheelchairs.
“Obviously it was a huge decision to make the move from South Street premises where the business has been based for half a century, especially given the challenges thrown up by the pandemic.
“Inevitably, the original timetable was impacted. But it has worked to our advantage because the design has evolved and we now have exactly what we wanted.
“To say I am thrilled with the transformation is an understatement and we are looking forward to feedback from clients.
“We have four fully fitted consulting rooms, a private dispensing area and an instruments room with the most up to date ophthalmic equipment. We also have a laboratory where we can do our own glazing on-site and have full quality control, rather than sending them to labs further afield.
“It is 25 years since I qualified and the technological advances of recent years have been remarkable in terms of providing greater accuracy and comfort in fitting glasses.
“Like so much of healthcare nowadays, the emphasis is on early detection of any issues clients may not even be aware of when they book regular eye examinations.
“Myself and the staff have undergone extensive training to make the most of the latest technology.
“In countries like Australia and the USA, you often see healthcare outlets in the same part of town.
“So being adjacent to Dental Care Perth is an added bonus for mutual clients.”
- Scottish Chambers of Commerce Deepen Dubai Connections at Landmark Bi-lateral Chamber Exchange
- COVID-19 Booster Programme
- First Minister’s COVID-19 Omicron Variant Briefing 10:30am 29/11/2021
- 'Back for the Future' Business Star Awards
- Scottish business taking green energy message to the world
- SCC respond to Scottish Government COVID-19 update
- PEST CONTROL FIRM TEES-UP NEW ROLE
- Scotland is Open
- Stagecoach announces free travel for veterans and military personnel across the UK on Remembrance Day and Remembrance Sunday
- Crieff Hydro Family of Hotels celebrates staff with a smile
- Perth based Carbon Financial is celebrating a landmark industry accolade
- Scottish Careers Week: 'Shape The Future' Webinar
- SCC Network - QEI Update
- Macnabs Will Aid Fundraising Event
- Pitlochry care home gets into the Autumn spirit with its own Tattie Bogle and a visit from Yarn Bombers
- KILMAC SPREADING ITS WINGS
- SCC Reaction to UK Budget 2021
- Plans for £33.8 million leisure-led development at Perthshire submitted to the Council
- Stephen Leckie honoured with HIT Industry Award 2021
- Thorntons Recruit Five New Solicitors
- Kilmac Raises £8,000 for STV Children's Appeal
- Further trainees start their legal career with Thorntons
- Trade mission showcases Scottish luxury on a global stage
- Lavish Praise for Big Country Golf Club