Perthshire businesses embrace work experience programme
A campaign to encourage employers to offer work experience to young people has received an overwhelmingly positive response from Perthshire’s small businesses.
Newly recruited businesses have joined ranks with the region’s largest employers in signing up to the Developing Young Workforce Perth & Kinross programme that helps bridge the gap between education and the workplace through its work experience programme.
DYW Perth & Kinross launched its annual #LearnALiving campaign to encourage more local employers to offer school children valuable work experience opportunities in 2019. Since its conception last year the organisers have had interest from over 250 local employers.
Recent recruit, Michelle Maddox, owner of Clootie Mctoot, a traditional Scottish dumpling maker based in Abernethy explains why it was important for her to offer work experience: “I have always employed young people in the kitchen and shop because I love the buzz that young people bring to business. The DYW programme seemed like a no brainer to me as I have three young children, and I believe work experience will be paramount for them to learn basic life skills.
“I did work experience as a youngster, which really helped develop my own confidence and communication skills, something I don’t think can be taught in a classroom. It’s great to see the transformation in a young person once they have gained some valuable experience.”
Maddie also recognises the unique contribution young people can make to her business. She added: “Having young people in gives me great insight into how we should be communicating to that audience, particularly when it come to social media and digital marketing. There is a true transfer of skills between the business and young person.”
She joins the likes of Aviva, Stagecoach Group, Castle Water and Crieff Hydro all of which offer several work placements through the DYW programme.
Steven Stewart, Chair of the Perth & Kinross Developing Young Workforce regional board, commented: “It’s encouraging to see businesses like Clootie Mctoot value work experience placements in their business. Not only are placements hugely beneficial to young people but by offering work experience, businesses are helping to shape our future workforce, local communities and economy.”
“Those who have welcomed placements have found it a great way to attract new talent to their organisations. We would like to urge local employers who haven’t joined our campaign to sign up and be part of nurturing and inspiring young people as they venture into the world of employment. The enthusiasm and drive to learn is palpable amongst the next generation.”
- Latest Scottish Government Daily Update Received Thursday 14th January 2021
- Charity Begins at Home
- Thorntons: Employment Law Webinar - Are you Ready for 2021?
- Scottish Government Daily Update : Wednesday 13th January 2021
- Blackadders: 7th January 2021 The Law behind the Headlines: New mother wins payout of up to £9k after she was left out of Christmas party while on maternity leave’ (Mirror online, 6 January 2021))
- Scottish Government Daily Update - Tuesday 12th January 2021
- £10m DigitalBoost Grant Now Open For Applications
- Circular Tayside: New Partnership Launches Initiative to Mobilise Natural & Cultural Heritage for Climate Action
- Scottish Government Daily Update Monday 11th January 2021
- Scottish Government Daily Update Friday 8th January 2021
- Scottish Government Daily Update - Thursday 7th January 2021
- Circular Tayside: Travel for All Our Tomorrows £82,640 of investment secured to develop a second stage of Regenerative Tourism experiences in the new Cateran Ecomuseum
- The Malting House Dundee design studio comes of age
- Circular Tayside: Take a look at this inspiring Triple A plan from the MDG group that covers sustainability and circular economy!
- Scottish Government Daily Update - Wednesday 6th January 2021
- Tippermuir Books has the pleasure of being the publisher for The Black Watch & the Great War.
- Senior promotions at Thorntons Solicitors
- SCOTTISH SMEs REMAIN COMMITTED TO SUSTAINABILITY DESPITE COVID-19
- PKC Place Management Team: FAO Independent Retailers, Restaurants and Public Facing Businesses in Perth and Kinross. 6 Jan 2021.
- Scottish Government Daily Update Tuesday 5th December 2020
- Scottish Government Daily Update Monday 4th January 2021
- New Restrictions Monday 4th January 2021
- Latest Received Scottish Government Daily Thursday 31st December 2020
- Scottish Government Daily Tuesday 22nd December 2020