Penny the care home dog "feeling the love" as the pennies come rolling in
A golden cocker spaniel who has stolen the heart of care home residents in Carnoustie has had the same effect on her local community.
Penny, arguably Balhousie Brookfield’s most popular ‘resident’, has drawn massive public support after the home launched a crowdfunding drive to meet vet and grooming costs.
Balhousie Brookfield has been home to Penny, a 12-year-old golden cocker spaniel, since her former owner was a resident there. After the resident passed away, staff and residents decided to adopt her.
However, Penny has eye infections and needs regular grooming which led to Brookfield's staff launching a JustGiving page for Penny. The original target of £500 has been beat by a massive 700% and stands at more than £3500. And as National Pet Month gets underway, Penny has been offered free grooming services from Dalhousie Dogs in Carnoustie and food donations from Perthshire Gundog Rescue.
Says Balhousie Brookfield's Home Manager Laurie Easom:
“We’re overwhelmed with the support we’ve had from the public and local community, as well as from our colleagues across Balhousie Care Group. Thanks to everyone’s generosity we have raised more than £3,500 on JustGiving and the donations are still coming in. We’ve also secured free grooming and food thanks to Perthshire Gundog Rescue and Dalhousie Dogs groomers in Carnoustie. Massive thanks to them for their kindness. The comments from people have been so heartwarming. I think such a positive story has touched people in these trying times. Penny and the rest of us at Balhousie Brookfield are feeling the love!”
Laurie added: “Penny brings so much cheer to staff and residents. She’s more than a therapy pet, she’s part of the family."
The care home also plans to incubate and sell chickens and ducks to generate some sustained income for Penny. “The plan is to incubate and sell chickens and ducks and put the money into back into Penny’s fund. Plus we’ll be able to use the eggs for residents’ meals. ”
Penny is well-known around Carnoustie and has even been featured in the local newspaper. Her care home antics were recently caught on video. View them on Balhousie Care Group’s YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mhxw5HkOtQ&t=19s
Visit Penny’s JustGiving page at https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/penny13?utm_id=1&utm_term=z7M7xbMVK
National Pet Month runs throughout April.
For more information about Balhousie Care Group visit www.balhousiecare.co.uk
- Royal Bank of Scotland Re-Launches Enterprise Programme
- Rally for Growth - Party Leader Events
- Scottish Government Daily Update 13th April 2021
- Charity works – if ever you needed proof - Barnardo’s Works
- China-Britain Business Council - UK-China Consumer Week, 19th - 23rd April
- Aspen Waite reach out to the business world with dedicated radio station
- Temporary Restrictions Fund for Childcare Providers
- SMART SCOTLAND Grant – Applications Open
- Sir Tom Hunter's Economic Report - Backed by 27 Scottish Business Leaders
- Global Travel Taskforce publishes framework for restarting international travel
- Children can lose out if step-parent changes the Will
- Cyber-attacks. What can you do to protect your organisation's personal data?
- Call for Artists - Perthshire Open Studios is back for 2021
- Fairways Look to Help Boost Economy by Launching ‘Build Back Better’ Fund
- Perthshire Chamber calls for “relationship reset” as Holyrood elections approach
- Club 300 Expansion
- Spirit of Perthshire Whisky Festival
- Scottish Government Daily Update 7th April 2021
- Penny the care home dog "feeling the love" as the pennies come rolling in
- Increased Productivity in Home Working
- Change in Moving Goods to Northern Ireland
- Two Million Workers Receive Pay Rise
- Balhousie Holdings - Supreme Court Ruling
- Agricultural Leases - Amnesty Notice Deadline