Penny the care home dog "feeling the love" as the pennies come rolling in
A golden cocker spaniel who has stolen the heart of care home residents in Carnoustie has had the same effect on her local community.
Penny, arguably Balhousie Brookfield’s most popular ‘resident’, has drawn massive public support after the home launched a crowdfunding drive to meet vet and grooming costs.
Balhousie Brookfield has been home to Penny, a 12-year-old golden cocker spaniel, since her former owner was a resident there. After the resident passed away, staff and residents decided to adopt her.
However, Penny has eye infections and needs regular grooming which led to Brookfield's staff launching a JustGiving page for Penny. The original target of £500 has been beat by a massive 700% and stands at more than £3500. And as National Pet Month gets underway, Penny has been offered free grooming services from Dalhousie Dogs in Carnoustie and food donations from Perthshire Gundog Rescue.
Says Balhousie Brookfield's Home Manager Laurie Easom:
“We’re overwhelmed with the support we’ve had from the public and local community, as well as from our colleagues across Balhousie Care Group. Thanks to everyone’s generosity we have raised more than £3,500 on JustGiving and the donations are still coming in. We’ve also secured free grooming and food thanks to Perthshire Gundog Rescue and Dalhousie Dogs groomers in Carnoustie. Massive thanks to them for their kindness. The comments from people have been so heartwarming. I think such a positive story has touched people in these trying times. Penny and the rest of us at Balhousie Brookfield are feeling the love!”
Laurie added: “Penny brings so much cheer to staff and residents. She’s more than a therapy pet, she’s part of the family."
The care home also plans to incubate and sell chickens and ducks to generate some sustained income for Penny. “The plan is to incubate and sell chickens and ducks and put the money into back into Penny’s fund. Plus we’ll be able to use the eggs for residents’ meals. ”
Penny is well-known around Carnoustie and has even been featured in the local newspaper. Her care home antics were recently caught on video. View them on Balhousie Care Group’s YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mhxw5HkOtQ&t=19s
Visit Penny’s JustGiving page at https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/penny13?utm_id=1&utm_term=z7M7xbMVK
National Pet Month runs throughout April.
For more information about Balhousie Care Group visit www.balhousiecare.co.uk
- Scottish Chambers of Commerce Deepen Dubai Connections at Landmark Bi-lateral Chamber Exchange
- COVID-19 Booster Programme
- First Minister’s COVID-19 Omicron Variant Briefing 10:30am 29/11/2021
- 'Back for the Future' Business Star Awards
- Scottish business taking green energy message to the world
- SCC respond to Scottish Government COVID-19 update
- PEST CONTROL FIRM TEES-UP NEW ROLE
- Scotland is Open
- Stagecoach announces free travel for veterans and military personnel across the UK on Remembrance Day and Remembrance Sunday
- Crieff Hydro Family of Hotels celebrates staff with a smile
- Perth based Carbon Financial is celebrating a landmark industry accolade
- Scottish Careers Week: 'Shape The Future' Webinar
- SCC Network - QEI Update
- Macnabs Will Aid Fundraising Event
- Pitlochry care home gets into the Autumn spirit with its own Tattie Bogle and a visit from Yarn Bombers
- KILMAC SPREADING ITS WINGS
- SCC Reaction to UK Budget 2021
- Plans for £33.8 million leisure-led development at Perthshire submitted to the Council
- Stephen Leckie honoured with HIT Industry Award 2021
- Thorntons Recruit Five New Solicitors
- Kilmac Raises £8,000 for STV Children's Appeal
- Further trainees start their legal career with Thorntons
- Trade mission showcases Scottish luxury on a global stage
- Lavish Praise for Big Country Golf Club