Penny the care home dog "feeling the love" as the pennies come rolling in
A golden cocker spaniel who has stolen the heart of care home residents in Carnoustie has had the same effect on her local community.
Penny, arguably Balhousie Brookfield’s most popular ‘resident’, has drawn massive public support after the home launched a crowdfunding drive to meet vet and grooming costs.
Balhousie Brookfield has been home to Penny, a 12-year-old golden cocker spaniel, since her former owner was a resident there. After the resident passed away, staff and residents decided to adopt her.
However, Penny has eye infections and needs regular grooming which led to Brookfield's staff launching a JustGiving page for Penny. The original target of £500 has been beat by a massive 700% and stands at more than £3500. And as National Pet Month gets underway, Penny has been offered free grooming services from Dalhousie Dogs in Carnoustie and food donations from Perthshire Gundog Rescue.
Says Balhousie Brookfield's Home Manager Laurie Easom:
“We’re overwhelmed with the support we’ve had from the public and local community, as well as from our colleagues across Balhousie Care Group. Thanks to everyone’s generosity we have raised more than £3,500 on JustGiving and the donations are still coming in. We’ve also secured free grooming and food thanks to Perthshire Gundog Rescue and Dalhousie Dogs groomers in Carnoustie. Massive thanks to them for their kindness. The comments from people have been so heartwarming. I think such a positive story has touched people in these trying times. Penny and the rest of us at Balhousie Brookfield are feeling the love!”
Laurie added: “Penny brings so much cheer to staff and residents. She’s more than a therapy pet, she’s part of the family."
The care home also plans to incubate and sell chickens and ducks to generate some sustained income for Penny. “The plan is to incubate and sell chickens and ducks and put the money into back into Penny’s fund. Plus we’ll be able to use the eggs for residents’ meals. ”
Penny is well-known around Carnoustie and has even been featured in the local newspaper. Her care home antics were recently caught on video. View them on Balhousie Care Group’s YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mhxw5HkOtQ&t=19s
Visit Penny’s JustGiving page at https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/penny13?utm_id=1&utm_term=z7M7xbMVK
National Pet Month runs throughout April.
For more information about Balhousie Care Group visit www.balhousiecare.co.uk
- Crieff Hydro Family of Hotels welcomes Drummond Arms Hotel as associated hotel
- Businesses boost Perth Show's virtual showcase
- £20 million funding boost for road freight
- Businesses urged to prepare for National Security and Investment Act
- Scottish Government set out plans for climate action to mark 100 days to COP 26
- New self-isolation exemption scheme for ‘critical workers’
- Opening Of The Glenturret Lalique Restaurant
- Scottish Tourism Leadership Programme
- Help shape the future of support for social enterprises!
- Archie Marks 21st Birthday With A Refreshing New Look
- Industry accreditation for Thorntons’ Director
- Member to Member Offer - Pathfinder Development
- Young Storytelling Stars Honoured at Crieff Hydro Resort
- So You Want to Buy a Croft...?
- Mother & Daughter Team Launch 'AMAZING RESULTS'
- Ascend Skincare Win Gold Medal at the Free From Skincare Awards
- Construction Cash Crunch Looms When Moratorium Ends
- Scotland to ease COVID measures from Monday but with 'certain modifications'
- Additional support for Northern Ireland agri-food traders (GB to NI)
- Centenary Milestone For Chamber Member
- Grant funding to boost sales of local food and drink products
- New consultation on 10-year National Strategy for Economic Transformation
- Creative Scotland Open Fund for Sustaining Creative Development
- We Need You - Regional Business Barometer