New £450m fund to unlock cutting-edge innovation across gas and electricity networks
A £450m fund is being set up to encourage energy suppliers to explore greener ways to power British homes and businesses.
The energy regulator, Ofgem, said firms should submit ideas that were "big, bold and ambitious".
They could include new ways to heat homes, store energy or transport goods and people.
Ofgem identified four areas that its Strategic Innovation Fund would focus on: heat, transport, data and digitalisation, and "whole system integration".
The fund is open for applications from 31 August and will initially run for five years, although the regulator said that could be extended if proposed plans were "strong".
Projects could include heat pumps, that use much less energy to heat homes than gas fired boilers, better electricity transmission and distribution networks, and battery storage technology, Ofgem said.
They should also have the potential to be scaled up across the networks upon completion, it said.
To apply for the first round of funding, network companies must address four major strategic challenges that are crucial for the energy transition. These are:
- Whole system integration
- Data and digitalisation
An online briefing event to launch the first funding competition under the SIF will be held on 7 September 2021 from 10:30 to 12:00; for more information see the Ofgem event web page HERE
- Blairgowrie Firm win double at Top UK Industry Awards
- Business Membership Launched by Rotary Club Perth
- The Queen's Green Canopy
- Golf Day 2021 Results
- Scottish Government Programme for Scotland 2021-2022
- First Minister announces plan for domestic vaccine certification
- Lindsays: Rise in employee-owned companies is good for Scotland’s economy
- Cyclists Prepare for 500-Mile Highland Charity Challenge
- Perthshire Chamber's Annual Golf Day Returns for September 2021
- New Perthshire Chamber Training and Networking Events
- Kilmac on the road to all-electric fleet
- Salmoni's marks 50th anniversary by move to new premises
- New £450m fund to unlock cutting-edge innovation across gas and electricity networks
- Prepackaged for Direct Sale Legislation - Food Standards Scotland
- Consultation on Scotland's first Framework for Tax
- Forth Valley Virtual Trade Mission to Belgium
- Blackadders: Knowledge of disability is key in disability discrimination claims
- Stagecoach launches new sustainability strategy
- Thorntons launches Charity Wills Campaign virtually this September
- Loan scheme launched for Scotland's farmers and crofters
- New touring fund for live music
- Scottish Covid inquiry to start later this year
- Blackadders - To be or not to Airbnb?
- Future Looks Bright For SMEs – New SME Barometer