Thorntons starts 2019 with two new partner promotions
Thorntons Solicitors has appointed Loretta Maxfield and Robbie Francis as new partners in its Dundee office.
Loretta, from Carnoustie, studied at Dundee University with her third year of law completed at Utrecht University in the Netherlands. She began her career as a trainee with Thorntons after graduating in June 2005 qualifying as a member of the intellectual property team two years later. In 2014 Loretta became dual qualified in English Law.
A key area of expertise for Loretta is data protection and she works with a range of clients from SMEs to educational and research establishments and large multinational companies. In addition to data protection, she advises on general commercial contracts, information technology, regulatory compliance and media-related issues.
Loretta is also a member of the Law Society of Scotland’s Intellectual Property Law reform sub-committee. In 2014 she was seconded to the research team at the James Hutton Institute for nine months.
Robbie, from Fife, studied at the University of Edinburgh. He joined Thorntons shortly after qualifying in May 2007. He began his career with the firm in their commercial property team before moving to specialise in corporate work.
Working on a wide range of corporate projects, Robbie has a particular focus on the education sector. He is heavily involved in advising a number of the firm’s university clients on corporate governance, constitutional matters and international projects. At Thorntons Robbie sits on the internal Brexit committee, tracking progress of political and legal developments and the impact they are likely to have on clients and key sectors. Robbie spent five months on secondment in 2015 at the Office of Advocate General for Scotland where he was involved in providing legal advice to the UK Government in relation to Scotland.
Colin Graham, Chairman at Thorntons, said: “We see these excellent twin appointments as pivotal to our future growth aspirations. It’s great to start the New Year here at Thorntons with promotions within our team. We see it as vital to promote from within and to continue to develop our own talent.
“We will continue to invest in training and internal development of our people going forward providing motivation for our colleagues and trust for our clients. Congratulations to our new partners Robbie and Loretta for their well-deserved promotions."
- There’s still time to top-up your State Pension
- Government proposals to extend legal protections for pregnant women and new mothers
- Thorntons Employment Law Update
- TEMPERATURES RISE AS BUSINESSES TACKLE THE MENOPAUSE AT WORK
- ARCHIE FOUNDATION SPRING BALL TABLES AND SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
- Record £62k sum raised for Cash for Kids
- University of Dundee to provide new Graduate Apprenticeship opportunities
- POLITICAL UNCERTAINTY AND COST PRESSURES TAKING TOLL ON SCOTTISH ECONOMY
- Scone Palace going to the dogs for a day as it launches exclusive four-legged event
- Castle Water agrees new four-year finance facilities
- ARCHIE Foundation looking for cyclists to join record-breaker Mark Beaumont on fundraising adventure
- Cupid’s arrow in the workplace By Donna Reynolds, Partner, Employment Law, Blackadders LLP
- Brexit Support
- Match funding available for businesses culture partnerships
- Binn Group provide mental health support for male-dominated workforce
- Judge me not for my convictions
- Thorntons starts 2019 with two new partner promotions
- 5 tips for successful Christmas arrangements for separated families
- Data Protection Recap & Review
- Scottish Chambers of Commerce Responds to UK Budget
- SCOTTISH CHAMBERS OF COMMERCE SURVEY ILLUSTRATES ROBUST TRADING PERFORMANCE, BUT MANUFACTURING CONFIDENCE AND OVERALL INVESTMENT FALL AMID RISING MATERIAL COSTS AND UNCERTAIN POLITICAL ENVIRONMENT
- Miller Hendry expands and strengthens legal team in Perth and Dundee with two new recruits
- BUSINESS CONFIDENCE IN SCOTLAND DIPS
- Bootcamp for companies new to Trading Internationally - Perth