Thorntons starts 2019 with two new partner promotions
Thorntons Solicitors has appointed Loretta Maxfield and Robbie Francis as new partners in its Dundee office.
Loretta, from Carnoustie, studied at Dundee University with her third year of law completed at Utrecht University in the Netherlands. She began her career as a trainee with Thorntons after graduating in June 2005 qualifying as a member of the intellectual property team two years later. In 2014 Loretta became dual qualified in English Law.
A key area of expertise for Loretta is data protection and she works with a range of clients from SMEs to educational and research establishments and large multinational companies. In addition to data protection, she advises on general commercial contracts, information technology, regulatory compliance and media-related issues.
Loretta is also a member of the Law Society of Scotland’s Intellectual Property Law reform sub-committee. In 2014 she was seconded to the research team at the James Hutton Institute for nine months.
Robbie, from Fife, studied at the University of Edinburgh. He joined Thorntons shortly after qualifying in May 2007. He began his career with the firm in their commercial property team before moving to specialise in corporate work.
Working on a wide range of corporate projects, Robbie has a particular focus on the education sector. He is heavily involved in advising a number of the firm’s university clients on corporate governance, constitutional matters and international projects. At Thorntons Robbie sits on the internal Brexit committee, tracking progress of political and legal developments and the impact they are likely to have on clients and key sectors. Robbie spent five months on secondment in 2015 at the Office of Advocate General for Scotland where he was involved in providing legal advice to the UK Government in relation to Scotland.
Colin Graham, Chairman at Thorntons, said: “We see these excellent twin appointments as pivotal to our future growth aspirations. It’s great to start the New Year here at Thorntons with promotions within our team. We see it as vital to promote from within and to continue to develop our own talent.
“We will continue to invest in training and internal development of our people going forward providing motivation for our colleagues and trust for our clients. Congratulations to our new partners Robbie and Loretta for their well-deserved promotions."
- Archie Marks 21st Birthday With A Refreshing New Look
- Industry accreditation for Thorntons’ Director
- Member to Member Offer - Pathfinder Development
- Young Storytelling Stars Honoured at Crieff Hydro Resort
- So You Want to Buy a Croft...?
- Mother & Daughter Team Launch 'AMAZING RESULTS'
- Ascend Skincare Win Gold Medal at the Free From Skincare Awards
- Construction Cash Crunch Looms When Moratorium Ends
- Scotland to ease COVID measures from Monday but with 'certain modifications'
- Additional support for Northern Ireland agri-food traders (GB to NI)
- Centenary Milestone For Chamber Member
- Grant funding to boost sales of local food and drink products
- New consultation on 10-year National Strategy for Economic Transformation
- Creative Scotland Open Fund for Sustaining Creative Development
- We Need You - Regional Business Barometer
- Carbon Tees-up Support For Lawrie's Big County Event
- Plan for law to protect cash access
- New recruitment drive for tourism and hospitality sectors
- Visit Scotland launch summer staycation campaign
- Latest SCC Quarterly Economic Indicator Results
- Archie's Appeal For Summer: Enjoy a Picnic in the Park!
- New LNER Timetable Consultation
- Lindsays: Scottish employee ownership deals set to double
- Thorntons: Achievements recognised with firm’s biggest wave of legal promotions