GS Group boosts Dundee presence
Scotland's biggest independent insurance broker is enhancing its presence on Tayside.
The Perth-based GS Group – long-time Perthshire Chamber of Commerce members - has acquired the family-run Strathtay Insurance Brokers, which was founded in Dundee in 1974 by Charles Robertson.
George Stubbs, managing director and founder of the Shore Road based GS Group, which handles around £30 million business annually, said: “We are delighted to add such a well-known Dundee broker to our portfolio.
“The GS Group started more than 30 years ago and we remain proud of our independent status.
“We opened our City Quay offices in Dundee nine years ago and the acquisition of such a respected firm as Strathtay Insurance Brokers will further strengthen our position in the Tayside market.
“We were delighted to be approached to take over the business.
“In addition to day-to-day insurance broking, we offer risk and claims management as well as the full range of financial services products via our sister company George Stubbs Financial Services Ltd.
“We will do everything in our power to ensure the transition is as smooth as possible.”
Nigel Robertson said the GS Group was the perfect fit.
“With the partners each over 60 and having amassed 125 years combined service, we felt the time was right to step back and take things a bit easier, while ensuring our clients would enjoy the same quality of service they have come to expect over the years,” explained Nigel.
“We looked at a number of like-minded firms which would share our business ethos and commitment to our clients.
“We are delighted to say that the GS Group more than matched our expectations.”
Mr Robertson reflected on widespread changes which have taken place in the insurance industry over the last 40-plus years.
“The financial services industry has evolved and we have seen many changes in the types of products available.
“New names have entered the market, with familiar ones such as Commercial Union, General Accident and Norwich Union disappearing.
“Legislation has given customers more financial protection and we have been at the forefront of these changes, making sure our clients have received the best in terms of service and the products and insurers we recommend.”
Pictured (from left): Alison Duncan, James Robertson, Nigel Robertson, GS Group managing director George Stubbs and senior client director Nick Barr
- Diesel prices reach record of over £1.80 a litre
- UK Global Screen Fund receives £21m extra funding for three-year extension
- Energy bills shake-up plans to avoid price shocks
- Land and Property Market Survey
- Here’s The Plan…to a realistic, affordable sustainable future
- Rental market at its ‘most competitive’ ever
- Support for fishing and coastal communities
- Public encouraged to take part in National Parks consultation
- Global Business Dinner to showcase the best of Scotland
- Travelknowhow Scotland are delighted to be able to extend their FREE consultancy support package throughout 2022/23
- It’s the people of Perth’s chance to have their say on BBC Debate Night
- New Digital Skills Academy - applications open
- Perth Festival of the Arts
- Auto Services Perth Ltd sponsor Perth Racecourse for the 2022 season
- Electric models drive second-hand car sales higher
- Morrisons rescues McColl's taking on all 16,000 staff
- Inflationary pressure poses huge risk to Scottish businesses
- Focus on tackling the cost of living in Queen's Speech
- New UK sanctions for Russia and Belarus
- UK Capital Allowance Regime - Consultation
- Additional £4 million for the Young Person’s Guarantee
- Latest FPMC funding round announced
- SCC Quarterly Economic Indicator Survey Q2 2022
- Azets global SME leaders growth conference - 12th May