Global Travel Taskforce publishes framework for restarting international travel
The Global Travel Taskforce has outlined its framework for the restart of international travel, with confirmation of a requirement for ‘gold-standard’ PCR tests post-arrival but a commitment to assess options for reducing costs including the use of cheaper tests.
Recommendations include a three-tier ‘traffic light’ system for grading countries, with an initial list to be published “by early May” alongside confirmation by the UK of whether international travel can restart at the earliest possible date of May 17 for England only at this stage.
To ensure the reopening of travel is “accessible and affordable”, the current ‘permission to travel form’ will be removed alongside the easing of restrictions, meaning passengers will no longer need to provide a valid reason for leaving the country.
A ‘Green Watchlist’ will also be introduced to highlight countries at risk of moving from the low-risk green category to amber. However, the taskforce report said the government “will not hesitate to act immediately should the data show that countries’ risk ratings have changed”.
The report confirms the UK will play “a leading role in the development of international standards around a digital travel certification system” with assessment ongoing of how certification could ease outbound and inbound travel.
Other developments include plans to digitise the current Passenger Locator Form, “enabling checks to take place at e-gates by autumn 2021”, enhanced enforcement powers for the CAA to protect consumer rights and the introduction of a ‘Covid-19 charter’ setting out requirements and rights of passengers while measures remain in place.
Read more here.
- Archie Marks 21st Birthday With A Refreshing New Look
- Industry accreditation for Thorntons’ Director
- Member to Member Offer - Pathfinder Development
- Young Storytelling Stars Honoured at Crieff Hydro Resort
- So You Want to Buy a Croft...?
- Mother & Daughter Team Launch 'AMAZING RESULTS'
- Ascend Skincare Win Gold Medal at the Free From Skincare Awards
- Construction Cash Crunch Looms When Moratorium Ends
- Scotland to ease COVID measures from Monday but with 'certain modifications'
- Additional support for Northern Ireland agri-food traders (GB to NI)
- Centenary Milestone For Chamber Member
- Grant funding to boost sales of local food and drink products
- New consultation on 10-year National Strategy for Economic Transformation
- Creative Scotland Open Fund for Sustaining Creative Development
- We Need You - Regional Business Barometer
- Carbon Tees-up Support For Lawrie's Big County Event
- Plan for law to protect cash access
- New recruitment drive for tourism and hospitality sectors
- Visit Scotland launch summer staycation campaign
- Latest SCC Quarterly Economic Indicator Results
- Archie's Appeal For Summer: Enjoy a Picnic in the Park!
- New LNER Timetable Consultation
- Lindsays: Scottish employee ownership deals set to double
- Thorntons: Achievements recognised with firm’s biggest wave of legal promotions