Electric models drive second-hand car sales higher
Second-hand car sales have risen this year, boosted by a sharp increase in the number of used electric vehicles on the market.
Sales of used cars in the UK rose 5.1% between January and March, compared to the same three months last year.
But the market for electric cars, which only makes up a small percentage of the overall second-hand market, more than doubled in size.
Electric car sales were "energising" the market, the SMMT said.
The most popular models overall were the Ford Fiesta, Vauxhall Corsa, and Volkswagen Golf. But consumers appeared keen to snap up more environmentally-friendly cars where possible, the latest figures from the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) showed.
Sales of used battery electric vehicles (BEVs), which run purely on electric power, grew from 6,625 to 14,586 in the first three months of the year, a rise of 120.2% from a year earlier.
Plug in hybrids (PHEVs) and hybrids (HEVs) which together make up a larger share of the used car market also changed hands in greater numbers, totalling just under 50,000 vehicles.
Smaller models continued to be more popular for buyers in the second-hand market. Larger multi-purpose vehicles (MPVs) , declined by 7.5%, followed by luxury saloons which were down 3.4%.
- Diesel prices reach record of over £1.80 a litre
- UK Global Screen Fund receives £21m extra funding for three-year extension
- Energy bills shake-up plans to avoid price shocks
- Land and Property Market Survey
- Here’s The Plan…to a realistic, affordable sustainable future
- Rental market at its ‘most competitive’ ever
- Support for fishing and coastal communities
- Public encouraged to take part in National Parks consultation
- Global Business Dinner to showcase the best of Scotland
- Travelknowhow Scotland are delighted to be able to extend their FREE consultancy support package throughout 2022/23
- It’s the people of Perth’s chance to have their say on BBC Debate Night
- New Digital Skills Academy - applications open
- Perth Festival of the Arts
- Auto Services Perth Ltd sponsor Perth Racecourse for the 2022 season
- Electric models drive second-hand car sales higher
- Morrisons rescues McColl's taking on all 16,000 staff
- Inflationary pressure poses huge risk to Scottish businesses
- Focus on tackling the cost of living in Queen's Speech
- New UK sanctions for Russia and Belarus
- UK Capital Allowance Regime - Consultation
- Additional £4 million for the Young Person’s Guarantee
- Latest FPMC funding round announced
- SCC Quarterly Economic Indicator Survey Q2 2022
- Azets global SME leaders growth conference - 12th May