Crieff Hydro Charity Event to raise funds for My Name'5 Doddie Foundation
Crieff Hydro, one of Scotland's most popular leisure resorts, will be hosting a charity event on Saturday 5 October 2019, to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie Foundation.
The Row the Sea for MND dinner, organised by Genius Brewing, will bring together some of the top names in Sport including Britain's most successful female Olympian, Katherine Grainger, and former Scotland rugby captain Rob Wainwright. The My Name'5 Doddie Foundation was established by Scottish rugby legend Doddie Weir in 2017 after being diagnosed with Motor Neuron Disease (MND). The charity seeks to raise funds to aid research into the disease.
The key speaker for the charity night will be SAS veteran John Davidson. John has taken on the challenge of rowing the Atlantic single handed, covering 5,000km from La Gomera in the Canary Islands to Antigua, purely to raise funds for the My Name'5 Doddie Foundation. John is aiming to raise £100,000 for the charity through his endeavour, which he has named ‘The Mad Giraffe Atlantic Row', after Bill McLaren's famous description of Doddie.
John commented: "Doddie is an icon of Scottish rugby. His battle with MND has been an inspiration and having had the privilege of meeting Doddie and seeing his courage in the face of adversity, he inspired me to test my courage once again. Rowing solo is so demanding. I'll be on the oars sixteen hours a day while navigating and when not rowing, I'll be trying to eat, sleep and maintain the boat. There's simply no room for error."
To support the charity, Crieff Hydro will be offering use of its facilities for free along with several bedrooms, a raffle prize and a contribution towards audio support. Stephen Leckie, CEO of the Crieff Hydro Family of hotels, commented: "We're delighted to be able to host this event at Crieff Hydro for such a worthwhile charity. I have such admiration for the way that Doddie has handled his illness to date and the fact he wishes to improve the lives of others who suffer from Motor Neuron Disease through establishing the My Name'5 Doddie Foundation. I am looking forward to hearing from John Davidson and his plans for his epic adventure, all in the name of raising funds for the charity. Such an inspiration."
Guests can expect dinner, drinks and dancing, with all profits going towards the Doddie's Foundation. To find out more and to book please go to: www.geniusbrewing.com/mnd
To donate directly to the Mad Giraffe Atlantic Row, visit John's Just Giving Page: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/madgiraffeatlanticrow
- Balhousie Care Group Introduce Thermal Imaging Cameras to Reduce Spread of COVID-19
- New "Chat with Circular Tayside" Series
- Perth and Kinross Residents Invited to Travel the World with Live Active Leisure
- Coronavirus in Care Homes: Balhousie Care Group reveals three months of mixed messages
- Scottish Government: Bee Disease confirmed in Perthshire, 28 May 2020
- Scottish Firms' Confidence Rises but Remains Near Record Low
- Online Arabic Language Course Starts 1 June - 20% discount offered to Perthshire Chamber Members
- Deposit Returns Scheme
- Exercises to Practice When Working
- Scottish Government: BREXIT, 19 May 2020
- Balhousie Care Group provides jobs for former Michelin factory workers in latest example of community partnership
- Perthshire Care Home 'hugely touched' by community donations
- Buy Local, Eat Local : How to shop with your local food and drink businesses during lockdown
- £4.2 million C- Voucher funding to SMEs transitioning from Linear to Circular
- FRIDAY 8TH MAY: UK to Observe a Two Minute Silence to Commemorate the 75th Anniversary of VE Day
- Property Viewings Go Virtual
- Enchanted Forest Community Trust Steps in to help 26 Community Projects, 5 May 2020
- Balhousie Care Group Media Statement, 2 May 2020
- The Enchanted Forest Announces it is to Cancel the 2020 Event
- PERTHSHIRE CHAMBER TO LAUNCH “RECOVERY AND RESILIENCE PROGRAMME” AND MEMBERSHIP PROMOTIONS TO HELP REGION'S BUSINESSES THROUGH COVID-19
- Scone Palace to launch The Scottish Garden Show
- Balhousie Care Homes join in Live Gig from Singer Kate Nicoll
- Schools, Men's Shed and Local Businesses Provide Visors for Balhouse Care Group Staff
- Virtual youth work plan for PKC young people