Continued growth after expansion for leading law firm Thorntons
Leading Scottish law firm Thorntons has recorded strong financial results as its ambitious growth strategy of recent years begins to deliver for the business and its clients.
Thorntons has reported a 10.5 per cent growth in turnover for the year to 31 May 2019 to a record £29.8 million, with profits increasing by 22.2 per cent.
The 57 Partner firm has gone through a series of strategic mergers and acquisitions since 2014 as part of a five year strategy. In March 2019, it acquired the Edinburgh operation of Morisons LLP after the firm entered administration. Eight former Morisons Partners and 15 employees moved across to join Thorntons.
This – along with significant investments in organic growth, including its first Glasgow office and larger premises in Edinburgh – has firmly established Thorntons as one of the largest full service firms in Scotland. It now has 11 offices across the country and employs over 500 people.
Craig Nicol, Managing Partner at Thorntons, said: “Our 2018-19 results represent a record year and underline the success of our strategy for sustained growth across our business. Over the past few years, Thorntons has clearly demonstrated our commitment to investing for the long term and we are now firmly established as one of Scotland’s leading law firms.
“The acquisition of part of Morisons has added significantly to our commercial offering in Edinburgh and Glasgow. We are delighted with the positive integration of the Morisons team and clients into Thorntons. Exceptional costs of the acquisition have been recognised this year, however profits have also risen by 22.2%.
“Notwithstanding Brexit uncertainty, we are seeing further growth in this current year and our commitment to continuously improving our service to clients is core to our success. Improving the efficiency of our operational processes is also a key focus and will drive future levels of service and profitability.
“We remain committed to providing our clients with a full service offering and our business levels remain strong amid continued uncertainty in some of our markets.
“As we embark on planning for the next five years, we are confident we now have a stable platform from which to grow further in the short and medium term. We will continue to invest in our people, premises and technology to ensure that clients and our commitment to them continue to be our focus for the future.”
Photo Caption: Managing Partner, Craig Nicol
- Stagecoach East Scotland Shortlisted for Top Industry Awards
- Gleneagles to Welcome Guests from 15 July, 2020
- Zero Waste Scotland launches food redistribution matchmaking service
- Meet George, 98 Years Young and Still Learning
- Balhousie Care Group is #GladtoCare as national awareness week “shines a light on the care industry’s incredible work”
- Covid-19 Business Recovery: "Green Investment is the way to go" wrap-up
- Circular Tayside: Chat with Kevin Frediani, Dundee University Botanic Garden
- REMAKE in Crieff gets £57k funding to support local community
- Circular Tayside - Second Ambassador Meeting
- A new chapter for Balhousie North Inch Grove as it introduces two new managers
- Zero Waste Scotland Event - Sustainable Renovation in Practice - 22 July 2020
- Thorntons Estate Agency gears up for viewings as waiting list grows
- D C Thomson Media launches Back to Business
- Covid-19 business recovery: Green investment is the way to go by Circular Tayside
- 'Artist-in-Resident' Gordon brings his creativity to Perthshire Care Home
- Balhousie Care Group Buries Time Capsule for Future Generations to Learn About People's Experiences During Coronavirus Crisis
- Upskill with short, no cost course on Digital Marketing
- “Chat with Circular Tayside” with John Ross, Kinross Wooden Products
- Scottish Government: £20k-£80k "Designing Sustainable Plastic Solutions" Funding Competition
- Balhousie Care Group Introduce Thermal Imaging Cameras to Reduce Spread of COVID-19
- New "Chat with Circular Tayside" Series
- Perth and Kinross Residents Invited to Travel the World with Live Active Leisure
- Coronavirus in Care Homes: Balhousie Care Group reveals three months of mixed messages
- Scottish Government: Bee Disease confirmed in Perthshire, 28 May 2020