Business Star Awards 2016 - The Results!
Winning formula secures business title for research centre
An Invergowrie based international scientific research organisation has developed a winning formula to be crowned Perthshire’s top business.
The James Hutton Institute lifted the Perthshire Chamber of Commerce 2016 Business of the Year title at a glittering Star Awards ceremony in Crieff at the weekend.
Dr Pete Iannetta and Euan Caldwell from the Institute celebrated with fellow staff after securing both the Business Innovation and the Contribution to Sustainability category trophies before going on to claim the coveted overall title.
A sell-out audience of nearly 400 heard how the James Hutton Institute, which employs around 300 people at its Perth and Kinross centre and a further 300 elsewhere, captured the judges’ votes for their creativity and drive which have earned them international acclaim.
Chamber President Ross Graham described the winner as a superb example of cutting edge innovation and praised their development of simple – yet highly effective – practical solutions towards sustainability.
“The James Hutton Institute is a very worthy and exciting winner – probably Perth and Kinross’s best kept business secret,” said Mr Graham. “They are at the forefront of meeting the global challenges of providing food, energy and water from finite land and natural resources – working in partnership with people, organisations and governments to deliver practical solutions.
“I’m delighted to see an organisation working within our vital agriculture sector crowned Perthshire’s Business Star,” he added. “The Institute plays a key role in all our futures and is a valuable asset as a local employer and economy driver.”
The institute is a world-leading scientific research organisation focused on land, crops, water and the environment. They have centres at Invergowrie and Aberdeen and work 1600 acres throughout Scotland doing research work and commercial farming.
A delighted Dr Iannetta said the Perthshire Business Of The Year accolade was one all the Institute staff could take huge pride in.
“It’s overwhelming,” he said. “To secure two separate category awards was such a thrill. To then go on and take the top title is really humbling when we see the quality of local businesses we were judged against. We’re absolutely thrilled to receive this accolade from Perthshire Chamber of Commerce and our business peers in Perth and Kinross.”
The glittering event also saw the Chamber present an Outstanding Ahievement Award to recently retired Perth Racecourse Manager and former jocky Sam Morshead.
A standing ovation greeted Sam as he took the stage after guests heard of his outstanding contribution to the local business community, tourism industry and economy during his 25 years at Perth Racecourse where he drove forward a multi-million-pound investment and redevelopment programme to make it one of the country’s leading venues for jockeys and racegoers alike.
Chamber President Ross Graham reflected on “an outstanding evening” which saw 13 businesses shine as new Star category winners, showcasing outstanding contributions across the whole spectrum of local business – from tourism, food and drink production and independent retailing to e-commerce, sustainability and business growth.
“Perthshire Chamber of Commerce Business Star Awards repeatedly delivers a tremendous celebration of the vibrant business community in this area,” he added. “It’s wonderful to be able to give them a platform on which to shine and to showcase the amazing quality of businesses based here.”
This year’s business showcase event – sponsored by the Binn Group – was hosted by journalist Maureen Young and Crieff Hydro Chief Executive Stephen Leckie.
An after-show party – sponsored by DWK Office Solutions – saw the party continue into the early hours with high-flying entertainment by Adventure Circus and dancing to live band Groove Culture.
The galaxy of shining new Business Stars winning on the night were:
Developing Our Young Workforce sponsored by Perth & Kinross Developing our Young Workforce
Tiny Touch and The Community School of Auchterarder
Employee of the Year Award sponsored by McLeod Glaziers -
Raymond Jamieson, Perth & Kinross Association of Voluntary Service
Apprentice of the Year Award sponsored by Perth College UHI -
Kieran Foley-Hall, Vector Aerospace Component Services
Most Promising New Business Award sponsored by Elevator & Business Gateway -
Glenshee Craft Distillers
Excellence in Customer Service Award sponsored by Graham Environmental Services -
Club 300 Exclusive Gym
Excellence in Business Innovation Award sponsored by Blackadders -
The James Hutton Institute
Commitment to the Community Award sponsored by Royal Bank of Scotland -
Excellence in Tourism & Leisure Award sponsored by Fairways HR Business Support & Recruitment Specialists -
The Black Watch Castle & Museum
Contribution to Sustainability Award sponsored by Stagecoach Group -
The James Hutton Institute
Business Growth Award sponsored by Johnston Carmichael Chartered Accountants -
Loch Leven’s Larder
Excellence in E-Commerce Award sponsored by Thorntons -
Fairways HR Business Support & Recruitment Specialists
Independent Retailer of the Year Award sponsored by Perthshire Advertiser -
Loch Leven’s Larder
Excellence in Food & Drink Produce Award sponsored by The James Hutton Institute -
- Scottish Government Daily Update Tuesday 23rd Feb 2021
- Scottish Apprenticeships Employer Event with Perth College UHI
- Enchanted Forest Launches Nationwide Search for New Trustees
- Buyer demand remains undiminished
- Business Training and Support Awarded to 40 Heritage Organisations Across Scotland
- £209m funding for Smart sustainable plastic packaging solutions- check it out!
- Pandemic fails to halt growth of property consultancy’s Scottish Division
- Eviction of tenants during the Coronavirus pandemic
- Temperatures Rise as Businesses Tackle the Menopause at Work
- Scottish Government Daily Update Friday 19th February 2021
- Scottish Government Daily Update Thursday 19th February
- Scottish Government Daily Update Wednesday 17th February 2021
- Scottish Government Daily Update Monday 15th February 2021
- Scottish Government Daily Update Friday 12th February 2021
- Scottish Government Daily Update Thursday 11th February 2021
- Scottish Government Daily Update Wednesday 10th February 2021
- Scottish Government Daily Update Monday 8th February 2021
- Scottish Government Daily Update Friday 5th January 2021
- Scottish Government Daily Update Thursday 4th February 2021
- Scottish Government Daily Update Wednesday 3rd February 2021
- Scottish Government Daily Update Friday 29th January 2021
- Scottish Government Daily Update - Wednesday 27th January 2021
- Thorntons: The UK-EU Trade and Co-operation Agreement Webinar
- Thorntons Employment Law : Are you Ready for 2021? Webinar