Balhousie Luncarty’s ‘high fives’ as staff lauded for best practice
Staff at Balhousie Luncarty care home are celebrating after receiving high grades for their leadership, wellbeing and staffing.
The Care Inspectorate has awarded the 29-bedroom care home with three Grade 5s, the body’s second highest rating, after an inspection praised the “warmth and respect” of staff and a team working closely to promote best practice.
“Staff were calm, compassionate, used good humour and showed a very good level of skill in every aspect of the care and support they offered to people. We saw some very good examples of warmth and respect being given which promoted positive relationships and a relaxed environment throughout the home,” said the Care Inspectorate report, published this week.
The report also praised Balhousie Luncarty’s activities and its “happy and sociable” mealtimes, as well as new menu offerings. The new menus form part of a company-wide relaunch of catering under new Hospitality Manager David Blackwood. One resident told inspectors: “It's like going to a restaurant every day - superb.”
The Grade 5s, which carry the rating “very good”, are a first for Balhousie Luncarty. They follow the appointment of Care Home Manager Lynn Phillips, who took up the post less than a year ago. Lynn, formerly deputy manager at Balhousie Glens in Angus, was lauded by the Care Inspectorate for having an open-door policy for residents and staff. Lynn has also overseen a recent refurbishment of the care home, including public rooms and the home’s bedrooms, all with input from the residents.
Lynn said: “I’m lucky to be working with such a committed, caring team here at Balhousie Luncarty, which visitors tell us is evident as soon as they step over the threshold to the home. I believe that strong relationships and involving everyone is the key to running a good care home, and that’s something we have here. I’m proud of the whole team for helping to achieve our first set of Grade 5s.”
Jill Kerr, Group Chief Executive Officer with Balhousie Care Group, said: “Lynn and her team work extremely hard to make Balhousie Luncarty a place where residents are happy, active and involved in the decision making of running the care home. That’s what we strive for across the group. I’m delighted to see that hard work rewarded with their first Grade 5s.”
To find out more about Balhousie Care Group visit www.balhousiecare.co.uk
Lynn Phillips (centre) and staff from Balhousie Luncarty celebrate after receiving Grade 5s from the Care Inspectorate. L to R: Pamela Shaw, Meggie Townsley, Lynn Phillips, Gail Dove, Ben Haddow. Image credit: Perthshire Picture Agency/Graeme Hart
- Scottish Government Daily Update 22nd March 2021
- Perth Based Housebuilder Attains 5* Rating
- Business Support Bulletin - Grants & Funding Deadlines, 22nd - 28th March 2021
- Scottish Enterprise to make £4 million available for Green Jobs
- Scottish Government Daily Update 19th March 2021
- Scottish Government - Coronavirus Easing of Restrictions Summary, Tuesday 16th March
- SME Brexit Support Fund Open for Applications
- Scottish Enterprise & AOG Energy - Virtual Mission
- Scottish Government Daily Update Thursday 11th March 2021
- Scottish Government Daily Update 10 March 2021
- Are mergers on the cards as a solution for charities?
- Scottish Government Daily Update 09 March 2021
- SCC Network: Campervan and Motorhome Rental Operators Fund
- Scottish Apprenticeships Employer Event with Perth College UHI
- Enchanted Forest Launches Nationwide Search for New Trustees
- Buyer demand remains undiminished
- Business Training and Support Awarded to 40 Heritage Organisations Across Scotland
- £209m funding for Smart sustainable plastic packaging solutions- check it out!
- Pandemic fails to halt growth of property consultancy’s Scottish Division
- Eviction of tenants during the Coronavirus pandemic
- Temperatures Rise as Businesses Tackle the Menopause at Work
- Thorntons: Immigration Webinar: What employers need to know
- Circular Tayside: New Scottish Procurement Policy Note
- Abertay University Short Courses in Digital Business and Managing Transformational Change