Balhousie Care Group provides food for homeless and vulnerable as it backs Social Bite’s latest charity drive
Award-winning care home operator Balhousie Care Group is providing food for the homeless and vulnerable as it backs one of its charity partners, Social Bite, in its latest charity drive.
As Social Bite repurposes its efforts to delivering free food in cities across Scotland, Tayside based Balhousie Care Group is making 800 sandwiches a week for distribution in Dundee.
The fresh sandwiches, which are being prepared at one of Balhousie’s care homes in Dundee, will be distributed by Social Bite to a number of Dundee venues, among them St Salvador’s Church, Rock Solid Douglas and Lochee Community Larder. Balhousie Care’s maintenance staff are also on hand to help with deliveries if needed.
The initiative, which follows the forced closure of Social Bite’s restaurants and cafes due to the Coronavirus crisis, will last for at least four weeks.
Heading up the sandwich prepping is Daniel Inglis, Head Chef at Balhousie St Ronan’s care home in Dundee. Daniel is a popular community activist who is known for donating his time to help youths in foster care train in catering.
“It really is all hands on deck right now because of the Coronavirus crisis. We in our care home are grateful for how the local community has stepped up to help us, and when we learned that Social Bite needed help with its latest initiative, we jumped at the chance to be involved and give something back to the community.”
Jill Kerr, Group Chief Executive Officer, said:
“Balhousie Care Group’s charitable partnership with Social Bite, which goes back almost three years, is a strong one. They do extremely valuable work, which is going to be needed all the more in the coming months. It’s our job to provide care every day to some of our most vulnerable citizens, and with this initiative we are simply taking our care outside of our homes and onto the streets.”
Josh Littlejohn, co-founder of Social Bite, said:
“Last week Social Bite delivered more than 15,000 emergency food packs in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen to homeless people and other vulnerable groups. We plan to keep growing this food distribution service throughout the Covid-19 crisis and we were determined to extend the provision to Dundee. Because we don't have premises in Dundee we really needed a local partner and Balhousie Care Group has massively stepped up to enable this to happen. By donating their kitchen team and the food, they have helped us to feed many Dundonians who are in really desperate need during this crisis. My massive thanks to Balhousie Care Group Chairman Tony Banks and all of the Balhousie team for their generosity during this difficult time."
For media enquiries contact Gillian Drummond on 07365 284994 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Loan scheme launched for Scotland's farmers and crofters
- New touring fund for live music
- Scottish Covid inquiry to start later this year
- Blackadders - To be or not to Airbnb?
- Future Looks Bright For SMEs – New SME Barometer
- Limited number of trade spaces still available at Scottish Game Fair
- DigitalBoost Development Grant – Reopened
- Charity photography competition launched on World Photography day
- Murrayshall supports Cash for Kids with inaugural ProAm golf tournament
- Fund to support food & drink producers and suppliers
- Help to Grow: Management scheme
- New programme to support growth of UK cyber sector
- Invitation to Perthshire Chamber of Commerce 2021 Golf Day!
- Are you ready for the ISDN switchoff?
- Stagecoach carries out first trials of new bridge alert technology
- Perth care homes calling for ‘Everyday Heroes’ as they run flash recruitment events
- Workplace testing rolled out to boost recovery
- ScotSpirit Holiday Voucher Scheme
- Success For New Perthshire Business With National Finalist Nomination
- Global warming will hit 1.5C by 2040, warns IPCC report
- Scotland Loves Local £10 million fund launched
- UK live events sector promised Covid insurance scheme
- New guidance for businesses and workplaces - Beyond Level 0
- Member to Member Offer: Colour Me In video brochure