Balhousie Care Group provides food for homeless and vulnerable as it backs Social Bite’s latest charity drive
Award-winning care home operator Balhousie Care Group is providing food for the homeless and vulnerable as it backs one of its charity partners, Social Bite, in its latest charity drive.
As Social Bite repurposes its efforts to delivering free food in cities across Scotland, Tayside based Balhousie Care Group is making 800 sandwiches a week for distribution in Dundee.
The fresh sandwiches, which are being prepared at one of Balhousie’s care homes in Dundee, will be distributed by Social Bite to a number of Dundee venues, among them St Salvador’s Church, Rock Solid Douglas and Lochee Community Larder. Balhousie Care’s maintenance staff are also on hand to help with deliveries if needed.
The initiative, which follows the forced closure of Social Bite’s restaurants and cafes due to the Coronavirus crisis, will last for at least four weeks.
Heading up the sandwich prepping is Daniel Inglis, Head Chef at Balhousie St Ronan’s care home in Dundee. Daniel is a popular community activist who is known for donating his time to help youths in foster care train in catering.
“It really is all hands on deck right now because of the Coronavirus crisis. We in our care home are grateful for how the local community has stepped up to help us, and when we learned that Social Bite needed help with its latest initiative, we jumped at the chance to be involved and give something back to the community.”
Jill Kerr, Group Chief Executive Officer, said:
“Balhousie Care Group’s charitable partnership with Social Bite, which goes back almost three years, is a strong one. They do extremely valuable work, which is going to be needed all the more in the coming months. It’s our job to provide care every day to some of our most vulnerable citizens, and with this initiative we are simply taking our care outside of our homes and onto the streets.”
Josh Littlejohn, co-founder of Social Bite, said:
“Last week Social Bite delivered more than 15,000 emergency food packs in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen to homeless people and other vulnerable groups. We plan to keep growing this food distribution service throughout the Covid-19 crisis and we were determined to extend the provision to Dundee. Because we don't have premises in Dundee we really needed a local partner and Balhousie Care Group has massively stepped up to enable this to happen. By donating their kitchen team and the food, they have helped us to feed many Dundonians who are in really desperate need during this crisis. My massive thanks to Balhousie Care Group Chairman Tony Banks and all of the Balhousie team for their generosity during this difficult time."
For media enquiries contact Gillian Drummond on 07365 284994 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scottish Government Daily Wednesday 2nd December 2020
- Scottish Government Daily Monday 30th December 2020
- Inspiring new circular partnership between Remake Scotland and Halley Stevenson’s
- Salutation Hotel Festive Lunch & Dinner Specials
- PRI Cheque Presentation in Memory of Businessman Jim Graham
- Scottish Government Daily Update Thursday 26th Nov 2020
- Meet Artist Gerard Burns Invitation from Carbon
- Scottish Government: Daily Update Wednesday 25th November 2020
- Rowan Consultancy: Manager as Coach Course
- Oh Yes We Are - Live Online Panto from Perth Theatre
- Scottish Government Daily Update Tuesday 24th November 2020
- Trauma Healing Together: The Ultimate Christmas Quiz, 19th December, 2020.
- Thorntons: Data Protection Webinar. A Roundup of 2020 ICO Enforcement Action Webinar
- Scottish Government Daily update on COVID-19, Monday 23rd November 2020
- Y-Xplore at YMCA Tayside, with support from the Aviva Community Fund
- Scottish Government Daily Update Friday 20th November 2020
- AbilityNet - Who we are and What we do
- Heartland FM Shortlisted in National Radio Awards
- Circular Tayside: Exciting new funding to help Sottish businesses save energy!
- Scottish Government Daily Update Thursday 19th November 2020
- Circular Tayside: Zero Waste Scotland (ZWS) is launching a new campaign for face coverings.
- Scottish Government Daily Update Tuesday 17th November 2020
- Circular Tayside: Circular Construction and the Perth West Project, 25th November, 10-11 AM
- Scottish Government Daily Update Monday 16th November 2020