PERTHSHIRE CHAMBER IS AN APPROVED KICKSTART GATEWAY
Perthshire Chamber has worked with local employers to create well over 100 Kickstart Placements, with many live and some employers already employing through the scheme.
The Kickstart Scheme provides funding to employers to create new 6-month job placements for young people who are currently on Universal Credit and at risk of long-term unemployment.
This is part of the government’s Plan for Jobs and aims to create hundreds and thousands of new, fully funded jobs across England, Scotland and Wales. The first placements are likely to be available from November.
Below is an overview on the criteria, what is available and then what we need from you if you wish to offer positions and would be happy to work with us in partnership.
If you have any questions, please let us know.
You would need to ensure that the job placements meet the criteria:
- 25 hours per week (additional hours are allowed but the employer would cover these additional costs alone)
- pay National Minimum Wage (NMW) for their age group (higher wages are allowed but the employer would cover these additional costs alone)
- 6 months duration
- are new positions so must not replace existing or planned vacancies or cause existing employees of contractors to lose or reduce their employment
- include wraparound support *(see Wraparound Support below)*
- candidates need to be receiving Universal Credit or Jobseeker’s Allowance but people can register for this fairly quickly if they are eligible
- all candidates need to be referred through their Job Centre Work Coach and you can refer people to claim Universal Credit via https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/how-to-claim.- then to the relevant position - if you have anyone not already registered but eligible they can register and enquire about your specific placement
What a business will receive:
100% of the relevant National Minimum Wage for 25 hours per week, plus associated employer National Insurance contributions and employer minimum automatic enrolment contributions
£1500 for wraparound support provision – please see below
Timescale Cashflow Considerations
£1500 on job start followed by retrospective salary payments at on a monthly basis in arrears, commencing month 2.
Intermediaries receive £300 per placement to administer
From DWP: “We want to ensure young people enter into high quality roles that offer on the job training and progression so they can develop the right skills to thrive in work. This is why we have set out clear criteria that successful bidders will have to meet, this includes setting out how they will help participants to develop their skills and experience. The experience that young people have will be monitored – we really want to make sure they are able to make the most of this experience to help them get sustained employment in the future.”
This means that the business will be expected to provide this additional support. The Chamber with partners will be offering packages of support as we understand that providing a placement will be a significant undertaking for some of our businesses (particularly our smaller companies) and they may prefer to effectively “outsource” some of this support. This can be as “light touch” as the Chamber merely facilitating companies sharing a session on specific topics through to the Chamber delivering all the wraparound support. We can provide mentors, relevant training, wellbeing support and also tie in to our Chamber platforms to explore career aspirations, entrepreneurship, leadership and to help the young people build their own peer networks. This aims to support those in the placements and you – our employers. This service will be created in line with exactly what you need so please let us know if you would like support on this and we can talk this through.
Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01738 448325 for further details and application information.